Friday, August 22, 2014

Arts Camp 2014

One Week People!
You know when you start hearing that phrase Arts Camp is near. Arts Camp is one of the greatest weeks out of the entire year! It is filled with music, dancing, painting, crafts, kids, playing, colors, and Jesus! Arts Camp is Oak Hills Church’s VBS and has been going on for 14 years. It is a week ware about 350 students and 150 volunteers gather to learn many different forms of art and about Gods Love. I have been part of AC for 5 or 6 years- I am starting to lose track. Like I have done for the last several years I taught acrylic painting class for 3rd & 4th graders. This year AC had the theme of Kingdom Come! Since I will be leaving soon and living in a castle I want all out with the kingdom theme. My class name was Once Upon A Paint Brush and we did 7 different projects that tied into that theme using acrylic paint in different ways.

AC kicks off on Sunday with set up and all the volunteers transform the church campus into a world of creativity. My classroom was adorned with a castle and bright colored paintings and the blank canvasses waiting to be painted on.

Monday morning come and the camp is overrun with kids of all ages singing and dancing in the opening session in their tracks , Dance, Theater, Music, Culinary, Creative Craftsmanship, and my track Visual Arts! It is incredible to see that many people and children praising and learning about Jesus! As the week continues color explodes every ware you can see and every ones creations and performances are leading up to showcase!

Friday after the students leave it is a mad dash to get all their artwork hung in the gallery so all their parents can see all they have done throughout the week. I was so proud of my students this year, they did a fantastic job and our gallery turned out beautiful! Gotham was with me all week and his opinion of AC is “I hate my name tag!”, “Do I have to keep laying here?”, “Why don’t I get snack?”, “I am Bat Dog!” and “I love all the attention!” Over all he did better than I could have hoped for! I am so proud of my little guy! Arts Camp is one of the most exhausting, challenging, trying, creative, joyful, fun, exciting, and glorious weeks I have ever experienced all at once!!! Until next year…

"Live lives worthy of God, who calls you into His Kingdom and glory. " 1 Thessalonians 2:12




No comments:

Post a Comment